FileLockAnalyzer is an easy-to-use VBA class module that retrieves information about file locks by applications running on the local computer. It can be integrated in any VBA project in any host application (Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, etc.).
With FileLockAnalyzer you can retrieve the friendly application name (e.g. “Microsoft Access” instead of “MsAccess.exe”), the process id, the application type, the terminal session id, and, if applicable, the service name of all processes locking a specific file. All this with a single line of code! (Variable declaration and processing the results requires additional code!)
The code of FileLockAnalyzer is agnostic of the host application and it can be used in any application that supports VBA.
FileLockAnalyzer supports the 64bit edition of Microsoft Office. It will run in both 32bit and 64bit environments out-of-the-box without any adjustments.
FileLockAnalyzer is Unicode enabled and supports Unicode file names.
- Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008, or newer
- Microsoft Office 2010 (VBA 7), or newer
- FileLockAnalyzer can only find the applications that lock a file. It will not show applications that currently have a file open but do not lock the file.
- FileLockAnalyzer can only get information about processes and applications that are locking a file and are running on the local computer. It cannot get any information about locks from other computers on a file on a network share.
What you get
When buying FileLockAnalyzer, you will get a download link for a ZIP archive containing…
- 2 VBA class modules with the full source code implementing the FileLockAnalyzer functionality.
- A PDF document describing the functionality and usage of FileLockAnalyzer.
- A Microsoft Access sample application showing different uses of FileLockAnalyzer results.
FileLockAnalyzer is a commercial product and copyright by Access DevTools – Philipp Stiefel.
If you buy FileLockAnalyzer you get the right to include it in any of your own applications and are allowed to redistribute it in any number of your own applications to any number of end users royalty free.
You are also allowed to modify the source code as you like and redistribute the modified source code.
Redistributing the FileLockAnalyzer class modules on its own or in an application without significant added functionality is prohibited and a violation of the usage terms.
You can download a compiled Access sample application (ACCDE), which demonstrates the results of the file lock analysis with FileLockAnalyzer.
This demo requires an installation of either Microsoft Access or the Microsoft Access Runtime Environment to function.
- Note 1: Only this demo application requires Microsoft Access. The FileLockAnalyzer components work in any Microsoft Office application.
- Note 2: This demo does not fully support Unicode. The demo works correctly with Unicode file names, but Unicode characters may not be displayed correctly. This is a limitation of the demo code. FileLockAnalyzer itself fully supports Unicode.
- Note 3: There are separate downloads of the Demo Application for 32bit Access and 64bit Access. Compiled Access applications (ACCDE) must be compiled for either 32bit or 64bit. The code of FileLockAnalyzer supports both without any modifications.
Download Demo Application:
FileLockAnalyzer Demo 32bit
FileLockAnalyzer Demo 64bit
You can also download the documentation PDF here: FileLockAnalyzer Documentation